Wednesday, January 3, 2018



--THE TREES ARE SO HUGE THAT THEY SHUT YOU UP



This Is My Depression Talking

I am having an
inkblot moment again,
that sloshing-swimming black
with not enough white,
not enough light,
the jerking-jolting weight
of the world making me seasick,
on the verge of vomiting,
the very act a vanity itself,
so right there that’s another reason
for repulsion and self-loathing.
Let’s face it, not everyone can
skip through rain puddles with wonder
hanging off their toddler face. 
Not everyone can smile
for the camera on request. 
Some of us have to
suck on barnacles for sustenance,
make love to husky poison ivy,
untangle monkeys from our hair
using rusted tweezers.
In these inkblot moments,
I am here and somewhere
else at the same time,
transmuted maybe,
but more transported,
aborted actually,
and life gets slick,
it does,
slippery, coppery,
like a bloody nose in summer,
but violent too, like a slap
out of nowhere, or eating
random bolts of lightning,
falling in a sink hole with its
garbage disposal teeth
working overtime,
grinding away until I’m
just pulp and mush.
I don’t expect you to understand. 
After all, this is
my depression talking,
taking charge, taking over,
an invading Hun with a hatchet,
a band of marauders more
hedonistic and perverse than
Caligula ever was.  
So sometimes, to self-preserve, I set myself
at Monet’s pond, figuratively of course.
(I’m depressed, not nuts.)
I make myself into colors,
soft and blurred ones.
Impressionism. 
Depressionism.
I look from pad to pad,
from moss green leaf to
butter yellow leaf.
to taupe and mauve leaf,
every slurry leaf. 
I think to myself, if I can
actually see the colors,
there is still hope,
there might possibly be hope.
I close my eyes and hold on
to whatever is closest,
and if there is nothing to grip,
I pretend there is,
squeezing tight as I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment