Wednesday, January 17, 2018



---I’M WALKING ON WIRE


…It’s a quarter after one, I’m a little drunk….

…And sometimes, even late at night, it’s like I have a carwash inside my head, or else a tennis shoe bouncing around in the dryer.

…I didn’t see that coming.  But then people surprise you all the time, and not always in a good way.

…You can spend a lot of needless time doing the arithmetic of adding what damage has been done.

…Nothing can be delicious when you’re holding your breath.  For something to be delicious, you have to be present to savor it, and presence is in attention and the flow of breath.

…I may be lost, but my breath is still fresh, or could be.

…You can change the world with a hot bath, if you sink into it from a place of knowing that you’re worth profound care, even when you’re dirty and rattled.  Who knew?

…I naturally prefer the company of people who hold grudges, as long as they’re not held against me.

…Contrary to popular opinion, all of us are a little weird, but we can also be so lovely that it breaks your heart.

…A heart that’s been broken is a heart that’s been loved.  Anyway, that’s what I’ve heard.

…Sometimes I wake up so early the rabbits are still playing poker.

…Who really knows how much of our stories are true?

…It’s so awful attacking someone you love.  It’s like bitch-slapping E.T.

…Let’s face it, it’s inspiring and such a relief when people find a way to bear the unbearable.  That’s why I’m still working on it.

…For a long time, I had the disease of More.  It’s one of the dumbest diseases ever, all up there in your head, nutty and grabby as hell.

…Once bitten, twice shy.  I ain’t looking again.

…Having a good dog is the closest some of us are ever going to come to knowing the direct love of a mother, or God.

…I’ve been politely angry lots of time.  Now that’s a tight rope to walk.

…This is how we make important changes—barely, poorly and slowly.

…Some things you experience are like having a broken leg, and then that leg heals badly, and you end up limping forever.

…It’s possible to drown in uncried tears.  It is.

…Copernicus had it right, but no one believed him at the time.

…I’ve taken to carrying a mirror around with me everywhere I go so I know I’m still here.  Am I still here?  Let me check.

…I’m standing at the mouth of the river and the current looks a little unruly.

…Sometimes you’re just a coat that gets thrown over a mud puddle so someone can walk over you without getting dirty, and that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

…I was a vacant alibi.  That’s not a lot of fun.

…Sometimes I feel like a human rain delay that this is going to take a long while to recover from.

…Whip, whip.  Run me a like a race horse, pull me like a ripcord.

…Hey there, Mr. Blue.  We’re so pleased to be with you.  Everybody smiles at you.  Blue—now there’s a color.

Mr. Blue Sky’s up there waiting.  Where did we go wrong?

…When people miscommunicate, it’s easy to jump to conclusions.  One conclusion might be that the relationship is flawed simply because of the miscommunication, but that’s naïve and taking the easy way out.  Hell, people miscommunicate all the time, people who’ve been together forever.  Miscommunication is part of life.  It is life.  Get over it.

…For several days now, I have had a caterpillar cold sore on my upper lip.  I’m not proud of it.  It’s been pretty gross.  I hope you don’t get cold sores.  I hope you get glide tidings instead.  You’ve got them so many times before.

…Who do you think you are?  No, really, who?  That’s certainly a question to ponder.

…I hope you’re happy with yourself.  That’d be a bold thing, considering.

…Here’s to my future.  Goodbye to yesterday.








No comments:

Post a Comment