Friday, August 24, 2018





--THE SKY IS FALLING AND I’M DOWN HERE WITH MY ARMS WIDE OPEN

What Did It

It won’t be a car or
blade or bullet
that kills me. 
I’m already dead. 
Just look at all the
dead flies in my eyes. 
I died on a M W F. 
I died when the
grass grew talons. 
I died choking in
a shallow mudpuddle. 
I died when your grasp
became ungrasped and
the sun turned
its back on me
for the last time.



Penance

My skin wept red then,
those troubled pores
stretched tight as a kite
straining in the wind.
My useless bones sat drying
in a mop bucket rarely used.
My heart had long been seared
in a scorched frying pan.
All around ransom notes
flapped and squalled
while remaining unread. 
Someone said they were sorry.
Someone claimed our guilt.
But Mother
still in her night coat
shot down the sun again
as she put out her lit cigarette
on my sister’s upraised cheek.



What the Attic Knows

Every night I go
back to the attic where
each chained chest recounts  
the rumors of murders
committed in this house,
no one ever charged,
no one an ounce regretful,
though all of our bloody footprints
lead in the same direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment