Wednesday, October 4, 2017





--MY HEART IS A POOR JUDGE

 
 
In the Distance
 

I can see you in the distance

between the pregnant moon and

last lonely hill.

Every star owns me tonight

so my shame will have to wait

until morning.

And who knew the ants and flies

could do without sleep,

busy husks landing everywhere

but my pupils as if

I am a corpse or carcass

rotting in the New Mexico night.

Yet I can still breathe and

I can see you in the distance.

You’re skipping on a beach,

the sun is your best friend,

our daughter’s still alive,

we’re still married and

you have never looked more lovely.

I can see you in the distance

where you live now,

where you always are now,

finally happy, finally healed.

 

2 comments:

  1. So grateful to have been with you at Synergia when this poem was birthed. It's a beauty, as all your work is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for that, and for ready. for everything, really. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete