Wednesday, October 25, 2017



 
—I’M HANDING YOU A MEMORY.  CAN YOU GUESS WHICH ONE? 
 

…Isn’t saying someone’s hair is “fine” the same as saying it’s “thin”?

…While getting my haircut once, the stylist was incredibly chatty.  Then she asked what I did, and when I said I worked for a church, that I was a pastor, she never said another solitary word.  Not even, Thank you, after I tipped and paid. 

…It’s strange to think the word church can have such pull, such sway.

…Isn’t it amazing how much attention we pay our hair?

…And anyway, what does it matter what you do?

… For quite a while, when people asked what I did, I said I did nothing.  Which is kind of true.  People would ask me, “What do you do?” and I’d say, “Nothing.”  Sure, it was a little bit dickish, but it was also interesting, nevertheless, to see how they responded.

…Is what “you do” what you are? 

…Actually, it’s a problem when you say you think you’ve seen enough.

...The point is to have agency.  Agency means you have a purpose, that you want something.

…I’ve done my best defending, but the punches are starting to land.

…Everyone else is ready.  So what’s wrong with me?

…Face, it, we both know we’re not kids anymore.

…You really need to believe me when I tell you, don’t ever leave me alone.

…What would happen if we lived life like there was no box?

…There’s the family you’re born into, and then there’s the family you choose.  The difference is what you make it.

…The thing you have to remember is there’s a person in there.

…Everything’s always more complicated than it appears.  It sucks, but it’s true.

…Lord, just a little more time, please?

…The highs, they really cut.

…For whatever time I have left, I want to be all in.  I want to own each second.

…These things always run late.  Godamnit.

…Sometimes it catches you by surprise, but then those are the kinds of surprises I actually like.

…I relate to people who are somewhat damaged because it seems like most of us are, if we’re brave enough to admit it.

…The air is so fresh, it’s so quiet, only a few people out tonight, no traffic.  It’s practically ephemeral.

…I’m climbing, but the walls keep stacking up.

…Don’t give up on me yet because I’m just in a rut.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment