Tuesday, August 24, 2010

..."I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -- Marilyn Monroe. I keep seeing all of these deep, wise quotes from MM. Who knew? Maybe I was the only one that didn't. I should probably read a biography.

...Today I spent four hours (really, I'm not exaggerating) on the phone with a very nice man from Microsoft whom I'm pretty sure lives in India trying to get my Outlook up and working on the new laptop, all to no avail.

...I watched "Kramer Vs. Kramer" with my son last night. It's always been my favorite movie and I hadn't seen it in a while, so I was happy to see how nicely it holds up. You should watch it. I think it's an important film. That little boy broke my heart a thousand times. I hope he's still that same age. I never want to see a picture of him older than that age. But if I met him, and even if he was older and now sort of ugly or skeezey, I'd still go up and give him a hug.

...Speaking of cinema, have you seen "Julie and Julia?" I feel like cute Amy Adams in that movie (although I'm not saying I feel cute) when she starts her cooking blog and doesn't know if anyone is reading her words. Blogging is strange, but then so is fiction. Poetry is even odder. But I'm going to keep at it. If nothing else, it'll end up being a kind of writing journal with other random, interesting stuff tossed in like a marsalla stew.

...I like this quote: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -- Jorge Luis Borges

...My daughter is back from a week in LA seeing her boyfriend. I might sound sexist, I probably will sound sexist, but I'll say it anyway: daughters should not be allowed to have boyfriends. It should be illegal, right up there with manslaughter or some other heavyweight felony. Daughters could have boyfriends, just not ever be allowed to touch them, like that old, old John Travolta movie, "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" where little John lives in a sort of oxygen tent because being exposed to real, outside air would lead to his certain and inevitable death. I could agree to that. That would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment