Wednesday, April 24, 2019



—PLEASE DON’T QUESTION MY DEVOTION


Potential

I feel sorry for the stars
with their backs pinned
up against the wall,
their toes and fingers quaking,
nearest neighbor lightyears away. 
The moon is in no better position,
flat as a manhole, its cover blown,
every lovely sonnet falling
through the ether without
ever having been read or heard. 
You made me think
differently about tomorrow,
about never,
about ending. 
…I can’t wait till I
    see you tomorrow. 
…I can’t wait to give you
    my never-ending kiss. 
You did something to me
and, no matter the
lengths or odds,
I can’t take it back. 
You made me feel lucky and rich,
a bee in a field of clover,
a kid with all that swollen candy.
You did that.
You calmed the tempests,
the oceans,
tamed my wayward whims.
You shook the sky,
caused me to reconsider
the entire scope
and head space
of the word Hope.



Duped

I died today, but you weren’t there to notice.  They buried me in a field of elder straw where the shrews and deer mice play.  A herd of elk thundered over me, their hooves punching fists into the soil around my coffin.  In the distance, a murder of crows tore a hole in the lining of the sky before ripping themselves apart.  By nightfall, the rains came in torrents, seeping through the ground like hands sifting sludge, tapping on my wood-and-brass casket.  For a moment, I thought it was you, coming to see me, to say you missed me, but then I realized you were gone, and that I was dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment