Wednesday, April 10, 2019


  


--I’M SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE MY AWFUL JUNK.  I KNOW IT WASN’T VERY PRETTY.


Reasons

There’s no reason to
be this in love. 
The mountains will
always be there,
stiff-shouldered and tense. 
The sea will repeat
the same sloppy question
over and over again. 
And, God, well, He’ll not be
going anywhere soon.

But who can help
how they feel?
Who can put up a believable
self-defense for the heart
while the sun keeps
popping up reliably,
day after day? 
When the rest of the world
appears otherwise happy?

There’s no reason,
and yet there are a million,
aren’t there?  

Please tell me
you know that,
even if it’s the last thing
you ever say to me.



Steeple

It’s okay.
No one has to win.
Let’s just not
both of us lose,
okay?
That would suck. 

You suck.
Do you know that?
You do.
Okay, I said it.
Of course, I suck, too,
though together we
both once stuck,
not so much like glue
but rather like joists that
fit and complete
the rafters in the world’s
most spectacular steeple.

The trees let me
know that today,
they did,
their leaves braying
in the unsuspecting breeze. 
Buds like insect eyes. 
Tiny sprockets of the new
testing being almost-new.

I plucked one off
for you. 
I really did. 
Pinky Swear.
I rolled it around,
in my palm,
like fingering a
wishing well coin. 
I tossed it
over my shoulder
and meant it—
that thing I wished for,
for us.
I meant it.



What the Sun Tells Me

The sun tells me
I need to be more useful,
and I don’t know,
I don’t know,
which is my problem. 
But there’s always something
about the truth that
feels untrustworthy. 
The words, It’ll be okay,
for instance. 
Sundown, for instance. 
Hope, for instance.
A goodnight kiss.
A I’ll-never-block-you-again, for instance.
See ya, for instance.
Or that slippery
I love you,
that slides
through the eardrums
not quite knowing where to settle.
Or perhaps it’s
all the things
you wrote in print
instead of on my tombstone,
those block letters that fade
over time,
yet remain perfectly readable
to the one with discerning eyes.



The Grieving Process

Let me grieve, please,
victim or not. 
Give me this, at least. 
It feels good to wallow,
to hold my head
under the clammy muck
and try swallowing. 
Some might call it
justice or retribution. 
Others might name it
dumb luck or taking
too many hallucinogens. 
Maybe masochism?
A collision of melted senses? 
Or how about karma,
Bitch that she is?

Whiney boy,
don’t you see?
It’s all your own doing. 
Who did you think
you were, anyway,
believing love could
save you when
you didn’t even try
to save yourself first?



No comments:

Post a Comment