Wednesday, April 17, 2019



--I KNOW YOU KNOW IT DOESN’T MEAN THAT MUCH TO ME


Lateral Ends

Sleepless, we work
our impossible minds
from lateral ends,
a dead ocean between us,
deserts rotting in our mouths.
In the morning, I wake to
find I’m still slipping,
losing my grip on the cliff edge,
everything below me black and blue,
bruised and permanent.
My dog keeps cocking her ears,
and I hear it too,
the confused silence,
the barren air.
Outside, your rosebushes
conspire against nature
and combust, shooting thorns
through the picture window.
The dirt hurls rocks,
the robins sling spears.
I’ve got a conch
held up to my ear,
just in case,
but the hail keeps
pinging inside my skull,
ricocheting off a set of
flimsy bone walls.  
Either way, I’m ready
for the next message,
assault or hallucination. 
It’s the history you’ve left me with.
Fang marks on my cheek.


No comments:

Post a Comment