Wednesday, April 18, 2018





--I’M HARD TO LOVE


The Back of My Throat

Today I am
desperate
for love again,
a toyless toddler,
a junkyard dog
gnawing on its chains.
This sidecar rain wants
no part of me.
The old eagle shivers
in its elevator nest.
The trees sob and moan,
their limbs tight
with arthritis.
I could try talking
to myself,
raise a rifle to the moon,
or stitch up this
seeping wound.
All I need to know
in moments like these
is an answer:
That last kiss—
did you mean to leave
a grenade in the
back of my throat,
or were you just playing
Charades again?



And What About You?

And what about you?
Are the carrion fumes
a little too thick,
a little too sharp and pungent
for your liking?
Hasn’t Tuesday felt like
the fattest day ever?
Was there a crossbow
aimed at the lash-less space
between your eyebrows
when you practiced smiling
in the mirror?
Did that raven spend
the entire night
pecking a hole
through your skull,
and did it have specks
of fool’s gold in its black eye?
No?  Oh, good.
It’s just me then.
I’m glad everything’s
sunny side up there.
But be careful with
that stir stick.
People have been
known to get
those suckers stuck
in their throat.
Some have even died.



I Am Holding You In The Rain

Today a jar of wasps
crawling through the head again,
all that blue confusion and fear
time-stamped your face.
Still I see the young
woman you once were,
everything around you buoyant,
possible and accessible,
a field overrun with poppies,
the moon hanging untouched,
both Kennedys still alive and vying.
The nurses are more worried
than you because they’ve
been here before,
restraints at the ready,
clipboard for a weapon,
sighing like a pair of
exasperated willow trees.
Sis and the others
have stopped coming,
can’t take it,
the vacant shell of you,
the brook of chaos
gurgling behind your eyes.
But you may call me
by any name.
It’s okay. Your mind
has disowned you,
but mother I will not.
Even if you don’t know it,
I am always here,
holding you in the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment