Monday, April 30, 2018




—IF MY LIFE WAS A SONG IT’D BE SINGING YOUR NAME


What Love Does

Because you asked me to
I swallowed the animal whole
heard it scream
as I crushed its breast plate
in my throat
without even bothering to
kill the thing first.

Because you asked me to
I murdered a litany of
others as well
and each death
one by one
slow or swift
impulsive or deliberate
cracked a rib in me
carved out such cavities and calamities
broke bones where
there weren’t any
sliced pupils into slits and bits
cut out a tongue
where one
no longer wagged
until I became
a garbage bag of
superfluous toxins
blood and rubble
mud and marrow
all of it
sloshing and swishing
where my heart
once sang.

Because you asked me to
I doused kerosene
across the lips of
every sweet kiss
ever rendered
in moonlight
or lamplight
by a pair
of imperfect lovers
on their one flawless night.
I tossed a match and watched
it all smolder and shriek
in slow motion
on repeat
the kiss and the flame
both beautiful
and revolting.

Love,
because
you asked me
this is the last word
I will ever write
ever read
ever think
might be worthy enough
to make you change your mind
and love me back
but as I am instead
as love
however frail or frayed
is supposed to
yearn to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment