Friday, November 3, 2017



 
--IF WE’RE LUCKY, WE’LL GET STUCK AND IT’LL ALL BE GOOD
 

…Your life is a story told about you, not the one you tell.   You think you’re a painter, but you’re the canvas.

…Living sounds really good to me right about now.

…That’s the funny thing--fires don’t start all at once.

…The thing about a spiral is, if you follow it inward, it never actually ends.  It just keeps tightening, infinitely.

…I am trying my best to be a reliable narrator.

…Children tell you all the answers if you’re paying attention, if you’re listening.  It’s all hanging out, unvarnished.

…After a while, won’t everything be a cliché, I mean, if they’re not already?

…It should have been you, but it was me, who bit off a little bit more than I could chew.

…It might be a ruse, but everything always seems better in Paris.  Definitely magnified.

…I went to Paris with an attitude.  I was on Team NYC and that wasn’t going to change.  But it did.  Quickly.  Completely.  I could live the rest of my life there.  Everywhere you go in Paris, there’s something to admire or pay attention to.  Every sense gets its ass kicked, and in a good way.  Paris sounds really good right now.  Wanna go?

…I don’t even know what Shadow Dancing is, but I sure like the song and, technically, I can’t even call it a guilty pleasure.

…I’m such a baby that even the dolphins make me cry.

…I won’t die unless you tell me to.  What’s that?  I can’t hear you.

…Lord, please, just a little more time.

…One of the great things about angels is they have their whole lives ahead of them, plus they can help people who really need it.

…My wife’s assistant was an angel, an angel on earth.  Her name was Halla.  She lit up rooms in a quiet way.  On Christmas Eve she was driving her convertible jeep, stuffed with toys she’d collected and bought, to an orphanage.  There was a storm, freezing rain.  She wasn’t wearing her seatbelt.  She slid and collided with another vehicle on the freeway in Washington D.C. and was flung through the tarp roof.  When I heard the news I crumpled right where I was standing.

There’s a picture of Halla on her wedding day, in her wedding dress, holding my daughter who is maybe two in the photo.  We used to tell our daughter that Halla was her angel and for the longest time she believed us.  I hope she still does.

I like the idea of angels.  I know it’s weird, heeby jeeby stuff.  I don’t care.

…Sleep—it don’t come easy.  But then, not a lot of things do.

…You could either rock my world or wreck my day.  Guess which one I’m hoping for.

…It seems a shame to dodge the sun, but sometimes that’s the only way I can get anything done.

…Dollop is in an interesting word.

…My brain can seem like a really intense place.  Other times it’s a sea cave where the water keeps sloshing in and out, in and out, and seashells clatter off the walls.

…I realize I’m usually happiest when I’m doing a lot of talking.  Not always, but typically.  I suppose I could always talk to myself.

…It’s rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.

…I don’t like to throw the L-word around; it’s too good and uncommon a feeling to cheapen with overuse.

…No matter what comes next, we’ve won.  We’ve already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment