Friday, February 10, 2012


--THIS FEELS A LOT LIKE BEING IN THE MOUTH OF A LION


…I have some new things:
-“Heard it in a Love Song” at CL Bledsoe’s “Murder My Darlings.”
-“Impressionable” at Marco Polo
-“Corkscrew” at The Camel Saloon
-All three are also here under “Words in Print.”

…My keyboard is sticking.
The “delete” key is.
The “back space” key is.
The “1” key is.
Maybe it’s trying to tell me something.

…I got Jim Valvis’s poetry collection, “How to Say Goodbye,” in the mail yesterday. I’m glad I did.
It’s a hardy book, consisting of 190 plus pages, which is quite generous for poetry books.
Jim’s work is unpretentious, sage, visceral and often poignant, with an urgent narrative arc that makes the reader rush to each piece’s conclusion before then heading back to the beginning a second helping.
If you enjoy poetry that not only makes sense but leaves a burn mark on both your heart and head, then you’ll love this one.
Jim’s on Facebook and, I’m sure, would be happy to give you buying information.

…This is true.
I read an article a few years back about a guy who was so despondent upon his breakup with a girl that he decided to sell his life on EBay.
MY LIFE FOR SALE – WILL TAKE BEST OFFER
By “life” he didn’t mean people would have the right to murder him or that he would kill himself.
What he meant was his possessions.
He sold them all in one package deal.
He sold everything—his clothes, shoes, bicycle, books, DVD collection, board games, photo albums, yearbooks. He sold his pet hamster, Pete. He sold two birds names Salt and Pepper. He sold his black book with phone numbers of girls he had dated. He even talked to his manager and arranged for whoever bought his LIFE to be able to replace him at the work station.
In the end, this guy’s entire LIFE sold for $3,217.53.

Here are a few things that I really like for a Friday:

“If dance is largely about being still and music largely about the silence between notes, then writing is largely about what’s implied rather than what’s stated. There are some things that can be said better with fewer words than with more. Yes?” Howie Good


"I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be
honorable, to be compassionate. It is, after all, to matter: to
count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you
lived at all." Leo C. Rosten

"If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more
to patient attention than to any other talent." Issac Newton

"Books are where I go when I want to be reminded of the mystery and magic of our shared language." Anthony Doerr

"Life is not so much invented as composed." Peter Pereiara

No comments:

Post a Comment