Saturday, October 2, 2010

...I have two new poems:
--"Apples" at XENITH
--"Drowned" at Cynic Online Magazine
Both are also posted here under "Words In Print."

...I just saw "The Social Network." I can't stop thinking about it. I hated all the major characters. It's hard to like a film where you detest the main actors, which I think, in itself, says a lot. The movie really moved, too, never-a-dull-moment speed, almost as frenetically as Mark Zuckerman and the Napster guy speak. You should see this film. It's rare anymore to get a well done, riveting movie that addresses relevant/current issues in real-time history. You have to go back to the '70's with movies like "The China Syndrome" or "Silkwood."
...Next up is "It's Kind of a Funny Story," which is a book I'm reading that's been made into a film starring Zach Galifianakis, out this coming Friday. If it's bad, I will weep. I will cry buckets and streams.

...I'm not a fan of Oprah, nor of "The Harry Potter" franchise and JK Rolwing, though I do appreciate and admire what both women have done for reading. Anyway, "Oprah" was on the other day. She was not as annoying as other times--not as condescening and arrogant--interview JR and I was impressed with her love of writing, the craft, story-telling. She said she has to write every, that it's essential to her mental well-being. I can relate to that.

...Here's a closing quote from a great writer, but an angry man, George Orville:
"The great enemey of clear language is insincerity. When there's a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively, to long words and exhausted idioms, like cuttlefish squirting out ink.,"

No comments:

Post a Comment