Tuesday, October 26, 2010

…I have two new stories, "Ruthless Trust" and "I Like You" up at Troubadour 21 and Camroc Press Review respectively. They're also here under "Words In Print."

…Well, it finally happened. Yes. Yes, it did. PANK accepted a story of mine. I'm really happy about this. I've never tried so hard to get into that particular publication. Ironically, I had vowed that this story would be my last. So, good news. It will come out until February.

…I write, I run, I do some public speaking. I did some speaking to the public today--about 200 business leaders from the Everett Rotary. I think it went well. Usually my style is to teach by telling stories. I find people remember your points better that way. I also spoke to a group of forty on Sunday in Wenatchee. That was fun, too.

…I've been listening to a lot of Augustana lately. You should listen to them, too. "Boston" and "Mayfield" are so good.

…Here are some rules of writing worth noting from the cranky-but-talented-and-dead George Orwell:
1.) Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2.) Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3.) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4.) Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5.) Never use a foreighn phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6.) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.
I would add--don't repeat words in the same paragraph or even same page if they're uncommon words. It speaks of being an amateur or laziness.

5 comments:

  1. congrats on all the goodness, len. and PANK! WHOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks guys. really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing of PANK, but I'll check it out. Camroc, I know. I'm there, too. Good piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, ruth. i read your piece-- "coffee break." very strong. i liked the imagery.
    PANK is one of the top lit journals, run by one of the top editors/writers-- roxane gay. decomP, elimae, smoke long quarterly, necessary fiction and PANK are what i would consider the best, although there are a lot of good ones.
    i appreciate your reading my blog.
    len

    ReplyDelete