Friday, May 4, 2018





--UP THERE, THE UNIVERSE STANDS AROUND DRUNK



Her Birthday

At breakfast eggs
run and congeal,
the coffee incriminating
and artic,                                      
bloated snails
clogging our throats,
breathing now a
lost art form.
And me I recognize
the dead weather
in your eyes,
how it becomes a trapdoor
that drops you into
a desert with our names
written on it.
Every few seconds
the wind wipes us away,
into oblivion,
only to return at once
and rewrite our crime.

Everything we love
is out there
in the backyard,
in a box,
buried under
the useless evergreen sentry.
Most afternoons I sit
beneath the shabby branches,
stabbing my eyes with
pine needles,
swallowing cone after cone
till my throat bleeds
as your screams ricochet
off the walls of an empty
bedroom upstairs.
The thing we’ve learned
from all this is
someone needs to be
punished further,
and so I no longer
believe in accidents,
and I don’t dig up
that box,
but instead I say
her name over
and over
and over
until the last
puzzled starling
flies away.


No comments:

Post a Comment