Wednesday, May 9, 2018




--I’M OVER HERE WORKING HARD ON TOMORROW



Please Don’t Look.  Please Look.

I am behind the gold love seat
flipping through Playboy,
a little dizzy,
meeting Miss December 1969
for the first time.
I am behind the stove
sucking on the piping orange coils
as Mother makes another meal
of skinny dead chicken and skinnier rabbit.
I am behind the long library shelf,
the one in the back no one
bothers with because that’s where
the poets smoke and sip whiskey on pages.
I am behind in Math and Science
but I don’t care, there are bigger worries,
really frightening ones actually.
I am behind a boulder
half a mile from home,
in a hardscrabble field
using a fingernail to scrape a truth
in the moss and ancient lichen
so that someone someday
might find it and come looking.
I am behind my brothers
in height, confidence,
savvy, everything.
I am running behind our two
milk cows who were smart
enough to escape and
will never be caught again.
I am tucked behind the doe-brown
eyes of Ms. Cooney,
my third grade teacher,
who looks at me from her desk
as if I am a car-struck deer,
steaming on the side of the road.
I am hiding behind
bloated evergreen limbs
watching my brother do
what is called sex,
thinking pain,
thinking should I intervene
or shout Stop or
or or or.
I am on a Greyhound
seated behind a woman
with hair smelling of lilacs,
its scent washing my face
clean every time she laughs or
kisses her seatmate in a crush.
I am behind the times,
behind the moon,
behind the farthest line of ocean.
And now, here I am behind you,
spooning as you dream,
holding tight and warm,
feeling blessed or just lucky,
a winner for once
          either way.




No comments:

Post a Comment