Wednesday, August 16, 2017



--EVERY DAY THE GRASS GROWS OVER ME

…You can’t judge a book by its cover, but I'm telling you, you can almost always judge a story by its title.

…There’s a hole in the ceiling where the rain comes in, yet the sun can’t seem to find it.

…I’d like to laugh more.

…Do you ever wonder what would have happened if Lincoln or Kennedy hadn’t been assassinated?  I do.

…I saw this really cute, tiny chipmunk the other day.  I’d forgotten how adorable they are.

…I wonder what God’s thinking about right now. 

…Several years back I listened to the entire Old Testament on cd’s in my car.  The cast was all African American.  Now, when I picture God, he’s Hattian with a deep baritone voice.  He often sounds agitated.

…When I was really young, around seven or so, one of my brothers dared me to shoplift and I did.  I stole a bazooka squirt gun.  I still feel guilty about that, yet at the time I really enjoyed the thrill of stealing.

…It’s pretty pathetic, but for a long time, when I was very young, the wind was my best friend.

…There’s not a soul out on the lake right now.  That’s pretty unusual.  I might swim across it this afternoon.

…“In between the moon and you, the angels get a better view of the crumbling difference between wrong and right.”—that’s one of my favorite lyrics.  This too--“I will follow you into the dark.”

…If you really think about it, sleep is a strange thing.  I wonder what it would be like if we didn’t have to sleep.

…If you repeatedly butt dial someone’s number, is that fate’s way of telling you that you should call them for real?

…Scott McClanahan’s new novel, “The Sarah Book” is pretty terrific.  Read it if you can, but be forewarned that it’s gritty.  I like the name, McClanahan.  It’s fun to say and there’s a lot of alliteration in it.  (A lot of alliteration is a lot of alliteration.)

…If you can, you should watch “Ozark” on Netflix.  It has Jason Bateman and Laura Linney in it, and it’s terrific and unusual.

…There were a lot of places in India that people with leprosy could go, but they went to Mother Theresa instead because she wasn’t afraid to touch them with her bare hands.  That says a lot, if you think about it.

…It’s tragic when your heroes let you down, but it’s important to realize they’re just human after all.

…What if I turn into Truman Capote and never write another thing?  That’s a terrifying notion.

…I took a novel writing class once.  The instructor said she doesn’t believe in writer’s block, that it’s just plain laziness.  I think she’s right, but still…

…I’m a little shocked (is it possible to be “a little” shocked?) that Brett Easton Ellis gets his books published.  They’re fascinating, but utterly gruesome.

…I think it’s important to have opinions.  I have a lot of them.  I just wish I wasn’t so cynical sometimes.

…Late in life, my father was prone to sentimentality that he never expressed early on.  He would cry quite easily at touching things.  I think I’m becoming him.

…They say letting go is the hardest part, and I think they’re right, whoever they are.

…I never realized how random I can be.  Not sure if that’s a good thing—my being random.

…I think my computer is trying to tell me something, but I’m not sure what it is.

…The problem with country songs today is they’re too catchy--in the same way popcorn chaff gets stuck between your molars, country songs get stuck in your head.  For days, they do.

…There was a time when I wanted to be a lawyer.  I’m really glad that never happened.  Pretty sure I would have sucked at it.  Pretty sure I would be miserable.

…The end of a story is as important as the start of it, if not more so.  That’s what I’m thinking anyway.
 
...We should all be completely honest, yet, if we were, wouldn't that be trouble?
 
...Let's just try some honesty and see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Ok that was enjoyable to read. I do hope though that you were not serious about some of the things you wrote :) Keep writing dude.

    ReplyDelete