Wednesday, October 21, 2015



--MY HEAD’S UNDERWATER


...I wrote these today:


 Life Support

But first
There is the end
The tugging and nudging
The push and pull
Of past voices
Trying to remind you of
What you once were
The miles you’ve traveled
A billion breaths taken
An atlas etched into your face
As if by a hasty sculptor
Listen to me if you can
In the end we begin again
Two souls entwined
Though loosely
Like sheer scarves
Dancing with the wind



The Clouds Spell Surrender

The way this works
Is you disavow me
Destroy my charms and confidence
Whether by blowtorch or machete
The trees tell me you’ve tested negative
The water wants to warn me about your friends
There is only so much plasma in a human body
I leave mine on the bedroom floor
In the driveway
The woods
On a jagged stretch of road
Leading straight to Birmingham
Along the way the sun
Nudges my knees like a needy dog
The clouds spell surrender
But I do not



 August Noon

Our souls at night
Remind us
Of half-formed girls
How they tittered birdlike
Under sweeping willow tree limbs
That August Noon
With their Fruit-of-the-Loom’s
Bleached white as painted fences
Looking back now
Feels like an arm is reaching up
Through my throat
No mercy spared
No mercy asked for
Stretching and groping
Trying to reclaim something from the past
That was taken from someone else
Unwillingly



Full Moon

The sun is adamant that I’m wrong
The moon is an accuser
Which is why
I’ve drawn the blinds and have
Unplugged every cord and wire
My wife arrives after nine
Late like yesterday
And the day before
She reeks of Polo cologne
Frog legs and garlic
Gives me a swift kiss
Asks have I noticed that the moon
Is full and blue-white
Like our bed sheets



Anniversary

There are no rivers here
Only deep pockets of caked mud
Walrus tusks
And bird’s eyes
Pecked out by other famished birds
This is how it goes
Seventh year
Seventh death by seventh death
Happy Anniversary, Baby
Congratulations
We made it



No comments:

Post a Comment