Sunday, October 4, 2015


--HERE WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE, HOLDING ON, STILL BREATHING

…I made it back from Napa in one piece.
...Tomorrow I’m speaking to my daughter’s fifth grade class about writing.  It’s hard to prepare to speak to fifth graders.  I’m actually a wee bit nervous.  Wish me luck.
 …I had this:
 and this:
in print last week.
 …And for the new week, here are some things I like:

“Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt.  Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.”-- Roger Bannister, after becoming the first person to break the four minute mile, 1952.

“All big things in this world are done by people who are naive and have an idea that is obviously impossible.”  Dr. Frank Richards

“To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.” - Robert Louis Stevenson

“A poet can survive anything but a misprint.” Oscar Wilde

 “Until one is committed, there is always hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one element of truth, the ignorance of which
kills countless ideas and splendid plans - that moment one commits oneself, then providence moves all.” -- Johann von Goethe (1749-1832) German Poet and Dramatist
“Appreciate every word you write because you never know when the words will finally run out.” Michael Seidlinger
  “He doesn't act like he thinks he is Mr. Wonderful. He always introduces himself, even though it's obvious who he is. When you talk to him, you know he's paying attention to you and not looking over your shoulder.”  Mary Anne Grafton-Rodgers describing the late John F. Kennedy, Jr.

I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that is has grown by creatively responding to failure.”  Glen Seaborg

"Optimism is essential to achievement and it is also the foundation of courage and true progress."
— Nicholas Murray Butler


No comments:

Post a Comment