Friday, August 15, 2014



…LET’S BE MOVIE STARS FOR A LITTLE WHILE


…It’s very sad about Robin Williams.  Even all these days afterward.
Everyone, it seems, has an opinion about people who take their lives.  Some think it’s cowardly and selfish.  I don’t know it can be cowardly.  Seems like you’d have to have a fair amount of bravery.  Selfish?  Yes, to the extent it cripples those who love you, likely making them feel guilty in ways I can only guess at, like why didn’t I suspect it, was it somehow my fault, why didn’t I spend more time with the person…

There were 39,518 suicides in 2011.  More suicides than homicides.  More people took their life than were killed by breast cancer.
108 people each day take their life.
22 military vets take their own life each day.
That’s pretty tragic.  It’s more than pretty tragic, but I don’t have the appropriate words for it.
I’m not sure why I’m even talking about it other than the subject has been on my mind, not so much specifically about Robin Williams, but more so the topic in general.
Just think how horribly tortured a person must be to do something like that.  It truly is mindboggling.

…Okay, on to happier thoughts…

…I’m headed to Vancouver/Portland this weekend.  There will be laughter and classic quips, and yes , a fair amount of drinking.
There will be a lot of testosterone being slapped about.
It should be a grand time by all accounts.
And then next weekend I get to do it all over again.
Life is good.

…And so are these…

-“The way I deal with arthritis is to keep moving.   As long as I can play hard tennis, as long as I can ski or ride a horse - all kinds of things can come your way.  As long as you can, do it.  People who retire die.  My dad retired and died shortly after.  Just keep moving.”  Robert Redford

-"What is the use of running when we are on the wrong road?" German Proverb

-“There is only one plot—things are not what they seem.” Jim Thompson

-"Second thoughts are always wiser." Euripides
-"I don't trust any writer who doesn't, at some point, feel he or she is a total impostor." Susan Orlean
  “I know you can't save every dog. But you can totally try to save the dog that's in front of you.” Cesar Millan

“In one of the stars I shall be living.  In one of the stars I shall be laughing.” The Little Prince

-"What any human being can do in life depends upon the foundation laid between birth and age five." James Meredith-

-"We were brought up with the value that as we sow, so shall we reap.  We discarded the idea that anything we did was its own reward." Janet Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment