Friday, July 16, 2010

Writing a novel is hard work. Editing one is, well, can anyone say torture??? I'm about a quarter of the way through and doubt I'll have it polished by next week's Pacific Northwest Writer's Conference, which was the goal.

...I started writing full time in May of 2009. Since then I've written almost 400 stories and/or poems. The first story I wrote in May of 2009 just got accepted today at Literary Laundry. It's a long piece, 5000 words, about some real life events(and manufactured ones) that happened on a life-altering trip to Cambodia. It was called, "Hope on a Narrow Road," but has been changed, at the editor's request, to "After the Rainy Season." Anyway, there's a lesson about persistence there: it's my 141st acceptance, but my first written story.

...I have to have music and movies and books in my life. They're three of the eight things you can never have enough of. I am quite literally surrounded by books, even at this very moment. Many are writer's books, books about the craft. When I'm stumped technically or emotionally void, I'll often pull one out to see if I can't spark some inspiration or learning.

Here's some things I took from today's selection:

"I kept reminding myself I wanted to be a writer and that a writer writes."
"Write something every day, even if it means getting just a few sentences on the screen."
"Make writing a responsibility. Think of it like a job and show up on time."
"When people ask you what you do, tell them you're a writer. Put yourself on the line. Make a commitment."
-- Janet Evanovich, "How I Write"
(That last one scares me. Don't you have to get paid to be considered a writer, a real writer? Nevertheless, I'm getting a business card made next week that says: Len Kuntz, Writer.) Pray for me. Or publish me. Or both would be swell.

...Last thing, Madison and I had a Mad/Dad day and saw "Cyrus" yesterday. It was one of the oddest movies ever, but wonderfully acted (Marisa Tomei, Jonah Hill, Catherine Keener) with unexpected twists. You should go see it. Support Indie films so they stop making that "Ironman" crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment