Monday, August 12, 2019








Eulogy for a Friend
         for Robert


Unannounced
I gave your eulogy today
out in the bramble
picking the smallest
fucking berries on earth. 
From a wire,
the robins stopped preening
to listen while 
I told them about
the man you are,
the man I love like a brother,
the one who holds out
nets for others,
arms as wide as oceans,
spirit knit from wind,
a soul unfettered by tumult.
I sang your name
and let it hang in the branches
like gossamer and light,
the same way you shine for so many.
Soon enough the squirrels and
rabbits came around to listen too,
then a deer and her spotted fawns,
each one rapt as I painted you
with my best words and
those prized recollections
when you taught me
how full a life could be.
And of course,
I knew it was your special day,
the anniversary that brought you us,
which is why I wanted
to celebrate you while living,
in front of nature’s bounty,
where even if you couldn’t hear me,
everyone else would,
and thus, learn what a
treasure you are,
and always will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment