Wednesday, July 17, 2019






—I’M PRAYING TO THE STARS


…It’s the first things I looked forward to the most.

…Not that it’s a competition, but I bet it’s a lot grayer here than where you are.


…There are no perfect words, not now or ever.

…Sometimes you make a decision because you have to.  Doesn’t mean it’s the right one, or the best one.  Doesn’t mean you have to feel good about it.

…Who are you?  I really want to know.

…Life can be awfully frustrating and complicated and mystifying.  That’s why, if we’re smart, we should prepare for anything.

…That’s why they put rubber on the end of pencils, because people make mistakes.

…I wish I could tell you everything.  I do.  But even then, I’m not sure you’d get it.  And it wouldn’t be your fault that you didn’t.

…Ppl ask me Why? a lot.  Why do I get sad?  Why do I eat so little?  The answer is, I don’t know.  If I knew why, I probably wouldn’t do it.  At least I don’t think so.

…My best friend and I were talking about airports the other day because she was (trapped) in one.  She said, “There’s a reason the bars in airports are so packed, right?”  I knew what she meant, that airports are some of the loneliest places on the planet.

…My daughter has this wonderful habit of coming into my office and plopping down before she heads off to work.  Some of the conversations are light, and some not so light.  The other day I was in the midst of writing an intense piece and she plopped in and I felt myself being a little irritated by the interruption.  After she’d left, I felt like shit.  It’s weighed on me since then.  I’m lucky she even wants to talk to me.  She taught me a lesson without even knowing she did.

…I can train my hunger to do anything, and it surprises me.  It listens.

…I’m still here.  Still me.  Still your patient, whether that’s what you want or not.

…When I was little I used to think a rainbow was a bridge for the angels to walk down from Heaven.  Funny thing is, I always believed I was the only one who thought that.  Then yesterday, I read that exact thing in a book.

…Dear Satan.  I don’t think I recognized you that time.  You really are a clever sonofabitch.

…This second just became the past.  As soon as it’s noticed, it’s gone.

…I’ve resolved to abandon time.  To let it go.  It’s better that way.

…Every time your heart beats, I can feel a little jerk.  A little something.

…Sorry doesn’t get it, I realize that.

…Whatever happens usually gets put on the page, worked into shape.  Sometimes it’s a Rothko, sometimes Schiele.  It’s all subjective anyway.  You tell me what it means.

…Sometimes it takes a lot of fiddling and even then, that widget might still not work right.  Even then, you might still want to smash it with a sledgehammer.   

…“Hello, Stranger.”  There’s so much implied in that.  It can make you glad, or put you on the defensive.

…We all have our own shit to carry.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

…Each person’s universe is pretty small, actually.  Some are as tiny as the county jail.

…There is a far shore and we’re the tiny boat over here.  It’s a little crowded and a little dangerous when the waves get riled up.  Sometimes that shore seems so far away, it’s best not to look.

...Knowing when someone wants advice, and when they don't, that's the tricky part.

…You seem very strong.  Are you?

…If this is my best, kill me right now.

…Where is everybody going?


No comments:

Post a Comment