Wednesday, January 30, 2019






--SURE.  WHATEVER YOU SAY IT WAS.


                           The Night Circus

This clown may not be a clown at all. 
He has a broken window mouth.  Chunks of glass for teeth.  Steaming brand for a tongue.  Manacle hands.
His too big shoes slap the bedroom floor.  The air swells wide then small, ripe and bruised.
If I scream it will boomerang back.  If I scream the ether will eat it.  If I scream nothing will stay nothing.
The clown’s eyes are crushed ice, cherry-colored snow cones leaking at the corners, gashing rivulets down his face, through his caked-on makeup.  His panting is coarse and prickly.
At the end of the mattress, he performs what he always claims is foreplay, juggling a set of butcher knives, with a stare fixed tight on me.
The moon through the window blinks across each flung blade, like flashing sparks or cyphers, while sweat runs away from me, my pulse a coward and deserter.
Before the clown can begin his next trick, I pluck a knife from the air, watch the circus tent collapse, the elephants escaping together, one by one, trunk to tail, trunk to tail.


No comments:

Post a Comment