Friday, January 13, 2017


 
--I’M SO GRATEFUL WE’VE FOUND EACH OTHER AFTER ALL THIS TIME

 
Thursday Night Moon
 
Tonight the moon is ours,
A white jawbreaker glowing,
It another thing that binds us,
Another that separates us,
All those mountains and miles,
Rivers and roads,
Years and a car ride.
And still when I look up in the sky,
past the gnarled winter branches,
I see what looks like our names spelled out,
Bathed in the glow of moonlight
And it feels as if the world is course-correcting,
As if we might be together someday soon,
Staring up at the same sphere, this same moon,
You with your back against my chest, saying,
“I’m glad we were patient.”
 

The Sweater
 
I am the black
Sweater
You left behind
On the love seat
Love no longer an option

My yarn is tight
Fine Egyptian cotton
Mercerized
Top stitched and fully-fashioned.
Your skin
It used to sit or swish
Inside of me
Against my limbs and lengths
My sleeves and being

You took me places
Folded me
Kept me clean
Now I am a heap of yarn
Dead threads
Smelling of your perfume
But mostly
Reeking rust and
Regret

 

No comments:

Post a Comment