Saturday, December 3, 2016



 
--HELLO AGAIN, MY ETERNAL FRIEND


…I’m finally back home.  It’s been a while.  Thanks, as always, for returning to these pages.

…Mexico sure is beautiful.  The ocean is.  Puerto Vallarta is.  And the Mexican people are as nice as can be, though they’re rambunctious and bad drivers.  That’s tricky when you’re out for a run on narrow streets with no shoulders and they’re zooming around a curve.  But I wasn’t injured.

…I didn’t write much, but I read a fair amount—10 books, most story collections and some poetry—a few novels: “The Red Car,” Marcy Dermansky; “The Falling Man,” Don DeLillo; “The Longshot,” Katie Kitamura.  It felt good to read and read and only pause to grab a drink or jump in the pool.  It felt really good.

…I shouldn’t admit this, but I’m writing now on very low energy.  A 12 mile run this afternoon wiped me out.  Maybe I should consider driving instead.

…Anyway, it’s the weekend and here are some things I like for days like these:

"Be comforted in the fact that the ache in your heart and the confusion in your soul means that you are still alive, still human, and still open to the beauty of the world."- Paul Harding

"I know you can't save every dog. But you can totally try to save the dog that's in front of you." - Cesar Millan

 
"We all have dreams. And we all get disappointed. We all have heartache and we suffer and work to get through it. It's just the human condition. ...So I stand here today so proud. I'm so proud of my team and I'm so proud of myself."- Diana Nyad, who at age 64 swam 103 miles from Cuba to Florida

"Question: What is life about? Hepburn: It's about working hard and loving someone. Oh, and having fun. And, if you're lucky, you keep your health and someone will love you back."- Katherine Hepburn to biographer Scott Berg (1907 - 2003)

 "One climbs a mountain not to conquer it, but to be lifted away from the earth up into the sky."- Climber and Writer Russell Banks

"Our greatest happiness in life does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits."- Thomas Jefferson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment