Wednesday, December 28, 2016



 
--I’M BLUER THAN BLUE

 
…For whatever reason, the geese really like my lawn.  Every day, often several times a day, hordes of them take over the lawn, destroying it in the process.  You can pound on a window or shout but the only way to get them to leave is to throw rocks and even then they’ll be back within twenty minutes.  Geese and moles are my least favorite animals.  (For the record, giraffes are my favorite.)

…I went to see LA LA LAND yesterday.  I quite loved it.  Though it began a little slow, it quickly sucks you in.  Emma Stone is as adorable as she’s ever been and Ryan Gosling is remarkable—both his dancing and piano playing.  I’ve often thought that Leonardo DiCaprio is the most talented actor working today, but Ryan Gosling is right there with him.

…The other night I watched an indie film from 2011:  HAPPY, MORE, THANK YOU, PLEASE.  It’s a gem.  I found myself smiling through nearly the entire movie.  I wish they made more films like that instead of all of these awful super hero flicks.

…I had a lot of time on my hands before writer’s group started last night, so I got three books and read Roxane Gay’s DIFFICULT WOMEN.  It’s really terrific.  The writing throws straight punches, sometimes while wearing brass knuckles.  Each story is utterly unique and features a lot of women I know.  Read it.  You won’t be sorry.

…Carrie Fisher’s passing was a surprise.  Equally surprising, to me anyway, is how much people loved her.  I had no idea.  I’m not a Star Wars fan at all (it’s the only movie, the first one, I ever fell asleep at in the theater, and I fell asleep the second time I attempted to watch it as well.)  But she was only sixty.  That’s just four years older than I am.  Makes you ponder your life and mortality.  Seems like I’ll live past sixty, but one never knows.  I’m of the “life is a gift” ilk rather that “life is a bitch”.

…Can you tell I’m being a little introspective?

…When I think of all the mistakes I’ve made, and then couple them with a lot of the really bad stuff I was witness to as a child, I sometimes tend to lean toward self-pity.  But not for long.  I made the mistakes I made and that other stuff has just made me a better writer.  I’m a lucky sonofabitch.
I hope you feel like you are as well.

…Enough rambling.
Hope you have a great Wednesday.  See you in a couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment