Monday, June 23, 2014



--TELL ME WHY I DON’T LIKE MONDAYS


…Actually, I don’t mind Mondays.  Not anymore.  When you don’t have a set schedule, one day is no different than the next and you haven’t a bias towards any day, good or bad.
There was a cult hit single, however, called, “I Don’t Like Mondays” by the Boomtown Rats apparently about one of the first Columbine-type school shooting which occurred, of course, on a Monday.
I’d forgotten how creepy the video is.
Anyway, Monday…  Monday has always been pretty good to me.  I certainly can’t complain.
I hope Monday is great to you.

…The new Michael Jackson album is awfully good.  If you get it, get the deluxe version.  “Love Never Felt So Good” is completely addictive and I’ve had it in my head for at least a week now.  I can’t understand why he never released it earlier.

I spent a few hours visiting Michael’s older catalogue.  My fave is “Black or White.”

I wrote this the other day:


                                                A Very Modern Family

When I was young, my father loaded me inside the barrel of a rifle.  It was a double barrel shotgun and so dad loaded my sister in the other barrel.  That was our dad’s way of keeping the family together, although mom had run off with the vice principle at the school where she taught.  Our father kept threating to pull the trigger if we didn’t behave and repeat how much we loved and adored him.  Eventually we tired of the incessant needling for praise and our flattery rang false, so our father put the gun barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger and that was how one modern family managed to stay together eternally.

…Here are some things I like to start the week:

"I don't understand the point of being together if you're not the happiest." Gillian Flynn, "Gone Girl

 We shall not flag or fail. We shall fight in France, we shall fight in the seas or oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. “--Winston Churchill, speaking in the House of Commons on British resistance to the Nazis, June 1940

"Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are.  Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story."

"As a writer, all you can do is pick a street and go for the ride, putting things down as they come to you.  That's the real obsession.  All those stories.”

"The thing about remembering is that you don't forget.  You take your material where you find it, which is in your life, at the intersection of past and present."

"What you have to do is trust your story.  Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself." Tim O'Brien, "The Things They Carried


"I know you can't save every dog. But you can totally try to save the dog that's in front of you." Cesar Millan, aka The Dog Whisperer

No comments:

Post a Comment