Wednesday, February 12, 2014



--WE COULD KEEP EACH OTHER COMPANY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME


…We’re supposed to be getting some big wind storms here, beginning tonight.  When I was a young boy I used to love to go out to the woods behind our trailer where we lived.  I had a favorite spot; it was a hill that flattened out on top and there were wild blackberry plants that rimmed it.  On windy days, I’d lie down on the ground and listen to the breeze moving through all the Evergreen trees.  It was almost like being on drugs.
While I still enjoy the frenetic sound of the wind on stormy days, I worry about trees falling onto the house because a few have toppled across the lawn in the last couple years.
But I guess you’re going to go when you’re going to go.

…Anyway, here are some things I like on a Wednesday:

-"Gentlemen, why don't you laugh?  With the fearful strain that is upon me night and day, if I did not laugh, I should die."  Abraham Lincoln

-"Sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent." Dalai Lama

-“What good are insights? They only make things worse.”  Raymond Carver

-"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible." Charles Caleb Colton

-“A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”- Walter Bagehot

-"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to  know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

-"The world is a hellish place and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." Tom Waits

-“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.” ― Henry David Thoreau

-"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T. S. Eliot

-"You get whichever accomplishment you are willing to declare." Georgia O'Keeffe

‎-"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." —Anne Sexton

 -“The true mystery of the world is the visible.” Oscar Wilde

-“I don’t do drugs.  I am drugs.”  Salvador Dali

-“I have always loved too much, or not enough.” Dorianne Laux

-"The world is moved not only by the mighty shoves of the heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." Helen Keller


-"Whatever job I'm doing I try to do the best I can with it and enjoy it for what it is and what it entails. I passed the time in the shoe shop by trying to be the best damn shoe salesman in the whole of New Jersey.  The fact that I didn't succeed and ended up washing the coffee cups in the kitchen didn't really matter. I just tried to get those coffee cups the cleanest they'd ever been. Playing in the band was another job.  The only difference was, I was finally doing the one thing that I had any aptitude for." Jon Bon Jovi,

No comments:

Post a Comment