Monday, May 13, 2013




--YOU KISSED A GIRL AND YOU LIKED IT


…I had this piece, “The Rinse Cycle” up at Cease, Cows:

…Last week I was called “a modern master” and someone else called me “brilliant.”  Really?  No way.  Half the time I don’t even feel like a real writer.  Half the time I wonder if I don’t suck.  But I’ll admit the comments felt awfully nice.

…Here are some things I like to start a new week:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he would die for, he isn't fit  to live." Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I have simply tried to do what seemed best each day, as each day
came." Abraham Lincoln

"I'm trying to die correctly, but it's very difficult, you know." Lawrence Durrel

"I'm completely optimistic - I know the end is coming!" Lydia Lunch

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"I'm no hero.  I put my bra on one boob at a time like everyone else." Tina, "Bob's Burgers"

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." Gandhi

"For man, as for flower and beast and bird, the supreme triumph is to be most vividly, most perfectly alive." D. Lawrence

"I am what is changing secretly in you." Paul Valéry

"Most of us can, if we choose, make this world either a prison or a palace." L. Avebury

"We each have all the time there is; our mental and moral status is determined by what we do with it." Mary Blake

"To write is to talk to strangers." Tracy Kidder

"Reading is not only entertainment; it is a kind of silent conversation with ourselves… We are taken out of ourselves and moved more deeply into the process of living." PW

" ... Think of being curled up and floating in a darkness. Even if you could think, even if you had an imagination, would you ever imagine its opposite, this miraculous world the Asian Taoists call the Ten Thousand Things? And if the darkness just got darker? And then you were dead? What would you care? How would you even know the difference? ..." Denis Johnson

"In things pertaining to enthusiasm, no man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions." Henry Beecher

"Sometimes we just can't save ourselves from stupid." Men's Health

"Real heroes are men who fall and fail and are flawed, but win out in the end because they've stayed true to their ideals and beliefs and commitments." Kevin Costner

"Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in." Andrew Jackson

"You’ll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind." Irish proverb

"Don't write what you know, write what you feel." Alice Hoffman

"The deepest principle of human nature is the craving to be appreciated." William James

"Discovery consists in seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought." Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi

No comments:

Post a Comment