Sunday, April 1, 2012


…I've been watching "Weeds" the last few weeks, zipping through the seasons.
At first I was not taken with the show. It seemed too kitschy, a little too "Desperate Housewives."
I've definitely changed my mind.
Mary-Louise Parker's character has to be the quirkiest I've ever seen in a television show.
That's her up there in the photo, if you didn't know it.
I've sort of got a crush on her.
I know, I know--that's a sexy picture.
There were sexier photos, but I liked this one.
If you want a good laugh, watch "Weeds." I laugh pretty hard at least once every episode, plus they throw in some things you don't see coming.

…(I was going to use another word for "laugh" in the last sentence above, because repeating the same word is a pet peeve of mine when I see other writers do it. Seems lazy. But my other options--"guffaw," "chortle" and even "chuckle" just didn’t fit.)

…I'm listening to Pete Yorn at this moment. His old stuff. It's good. I wonder what Pete is doing right now.

…When I read something really good, I like to send the author a note and tell them how much their work moved me. About 65% of the time, I get a note back. It's the other 35% that sort of floors me.
I finished reading Black Fox Literary Magazine. There were some great pieces and photos in it. I wanted to send notes but couldn't figure out who they were on Facebook. That should be easier, or maybe writers/photographers shouldn't be so restrictive about their FB pages.

…At this writing no one has won the Mega Millions lottery. It's at $640 Million.
Here are some interesting facts related to this:
--You are 176 times more likely to be hit by lightning than win
--You are 3.8 times more likely to be killed by fireworks than win
--And 9 times more likely to face death from a TV that falls on your head.
--It would take 12,800 years for the average American household to earn $640 Million
--The US government spends that same amount every day in just 1 hour and 29 minutes.

…Here are a few things I like for today:

"nobody, not even the rain has such small hands." ee cummings

"I am a clock that winds down." Kathy Fish

"Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional
glance towards the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful
scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point." Harold Melchart

"Every forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind." John Spalding

No comments:

Post a Comment