Monday, May 1, 2023


—MONDAY, MONDAY, SO GOOD TO ME 

 

 

…Hey you, Rabbit, Rabbit.

 

…My biggest hero? I’d probably say Tracy Pollan. Yep. For sure.

 

…I could smell a whiff of my third cup of coffee yesterday, which I shouldn’t have had. But it was still nice to pick up something of a scent—earthy charcoal, like a rototiller had sopped soil into a cup of hot water.

 

…Being still; now there’s a thought.

 

…When I grow up, I’m going to be kinder. I'm going to love harder.

 

...It’s probably wise not to think so much, something I’ve been accused of, many times.

 

…Counting seconds, watching them zip by, can be kind of scary.

 

…Friendship is an interesting concept, and something I think about often. Same with love.

 

…“We minimize our very real and normal emotions by telling ourselves, ‘It’s bad that I feel this way,’ or ‘My negative emotions mean I’m weak,’ or ‘I’m such a loser because I’m always upset,’ or ‘No one will love me because my emotions are out of control.’”

 --Jill P. Weber

 

"You asked me what happens when we get older, and we get wisdom in life. Well, I’ve learned that we are capable of loving more than one person at the same time. And it has been made taboo by us. By people. It's not because one person isn't worthy or they don't live up to what you expect—it has to do with feelings. If we could control love, nobody would love anybody. Nobody would take that chance. Why would you put your heart out there for somebody to be able to hurt you like that and make you able to have those feelings?"

-- Smokey Robinson

 

…To my chagrin, I’ve turned into a big-time worrier, and most often, I worry about things that will never happen, and afterward, I feel foolish for doing so.

 

…Booyah! Closed all three rings, every day, last month.

 

…The only thing better than living on a lake would be living next to the ocean. Water always has so much to say. 

 

--“What does it mean to be still?” Jane Pauley

--“I wouldn’t know.” Michael J. Fox

 

…The thing about living in the Northwest is you appreciate a sunny day more than others who have sunshine all the time. (note to my “weather whore” best friend.) 

 

…“Many people have told me that I'm a good listener. Funny, huh? No one's ever bothered to listen to me. Like you are now. You're listening.” Ingmar Bergman

  

…When someone inserts the word “please” into their communication, it usually gets my attention more than it otherwise might.

 

…There are few things more potent, or even more sensual, than someone looking you straight in the eye and saying, “Thank you.” 

Well, maybe, “I’ve missed you.”

 

Your eyes… they show me how much you care.  

 

…“You can try all you want, but you can’t succeed your way out of pain.” Bruce Springsteen

 

…Wouldn’t it be something to have a conversation with Jesus? Like one-on-one, at a bar somewhere, back corner table, taking notes?

That’s a fantasy I have.

 

…“You can arrest a person for using drugs. You can lock them up in an attempt to protect them, or others. But you can’t handcuff their addiction. You can’t jail their trauma.” Daniel Beekman

…“With the album, ‘Nebraska,’ I tried to find the center of humanity.” Bruce Springsteen

 

…“When you start with gratitude, optimism is possible.” Michael J. Fox

 

… Today’s song, is, yay.  I’ve Just Gotta Get a Message to You (Oh, God. Oh, God.) 

 

…A random text from a friend you love has to be one of the best things ever.

 

…“Rest in peace” is almost as weird an expression/term as “An Essential Tremor.” Like, who comes up with this shit?

 

…Finding a new poet you revere is a lot like falling in love.

 

…I don’t understand why people don’t love poetry. All the answers are right there.

 

...The other day I arose at 2:30, went to the bay windows and waited for the sun to come up. It was beautiful, even in my groggy state. I wrote a really shitty, hackneyed poem, but at least I wrote.

 

…When I was 17, my English teacher suggested that I apply for a poetry workshop competition. They (whoever “they” were) picked 60 kids from all over the state of Washington. Somehow, and I do mean, “somehow,” I was one of those 60. When I arrived and sat down to hear people read, I was astounded to learn that poems did not have to rhyme. The poems I submitted all rhymed and were God awful.

It was a week in Port Townsend with 59 female poet wanna-be’s and me. And it was transforming. 

 

…It’s a double-sided sword, dreaming about Lucy as much as I do.

 

…It’s a bit sad when you make your dining decisions based on which places want you to sign your signature and write down the Tip amount. I sure hope no one else has to grapple with that issue.

 

…Be still. Be calm. Be love.

 

...Here’s what I’m telling myself right now: Today’s a good day to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment