Friday, November 4, 2022


—I STARE DIRECTLY IN THE SUN, BUT NEVER IN THE MIRROR

 

 

Trash Boy Language

 

     for Said Shaiye

 

 

my relationship 

with language 

is complicated 

askew and always

leaning burlesque

like mother-son juju

like fight-or-flight juju

like leather-on-skin 

shrieking and squealing

in a squalid bathroom

nowhere-to-run bad juju

this-is-your-Ma after all

bad juju

when you’re baby-soft

and white trash 

no one’s listening 

it’s just another 

bloody avalanche 

shooting bone marrow 

hieroglyphics across the floor

and so after a while 

the days stopped speaking 

and the nights did too 

the months weeks 

and young years

so me age nine 

little trash pimp 

that I was 

I grew futile 

grew a third thumb

third middle finger

grew numb

grew a forked tongue

a second harden skull 

and I did what a 

trash boy does when 

there’s nothing left

I taught the rocks 

and boulders how to sing 

broke off a branch 

and swung that 

motherfucker everywhere 

like a batshit conductor

I led every living thing to 

their hooved feet 

during the climax 

and crescendo

well past my sacred 

poached-puberty

I made them 

play that symphony 

on repeat like 

a mantra or curse 

over and over until 

the sound buckled both 

the treetops and heaven  

when I knew for certain 

that I was alive

and not dead

that I at least 

meant something

to someone 

or something

somewhere

No comments:

Post a Comment