Monday, September 21, 2020

 


—I GOT HALF A MIND TO SCREAM OUT LOUD

 

 …One of the few good things to come out of 2020 and the apocalypse is that I’ve learned a great deal about issues and people I might not have otherwise. I knew quite a bit about Ruth Bader Ginsburg before her passing, but I discovered so much more watching the documentary “RBG”. What a woman and stealth force….

 

 “I wanted to be that woman who stood in front of a man and said, ‘I can do this, too.’”

 

 “I learned very early that being a woman was an impediment. We did not have equal rights.”

 

 “I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask is that they take their feet off our necks.” Jane Hunter

 

 In 1970, 12 states still had laws that forbade men from being charged with raping their wives.

 

 “Women have always been branded inferior.”

 

 “What has become of me could only happen in America. Neither of my parents had the means to go to college, but they taught me to value learning at a very young age. They taught me to love books and wonder.”

 

“She had this quiet magnetism. Often you didn’t even think she was listening to you, while, in fact, she was always listening intently.” Sally Kittener

 

 “She had two lessons she repeated over and over to herself: Be a lady, and be independent.” S.K

 

 “I had the great good fortune to share life with a partner, a man who believed that a woman’s work—whether at home or in the office—was just as important as a man’s.”

 

 “Marty was the first man I met who cared that I had a brain. In the 50’s, most men didn’t.”

 

 “I tend to be rather sober.”

 

 “And then I got the idea that you could do something to make society better.”

 

 “I told the court: Just wait and see. You will be proud of the women of VMS.”

 

 “I see the Constitution as striving for a more perfect Union.”

 

 “It is essential to women’s equality with men, that she be the decision-maker, and that when government makes that decision for her, she is belittled.”

 

 “The way to win an argument is not to yell.”

 

 “Whether you agree with her or not, you still have to admire her.” Orin Hatch

 

 “She was five feet tall, and stuffed with dynamite.” A.M.

 

 “She was incredibly good at finding common ground.” Bill Clinton

 

 “She captured for all of us what it was like to be a second-class citizen.” Gloria Steinem 

 

 “I think generally, in our society, real change happens one step at a time.”

 

 “She wanted to build the identity of a woman’s equality, step by step, like knitting a sweater.” Arthur Miller

 

 “I am overwhelmed by the beauty of music, the sound of the human voice. It’s like an electric current running through me.”

 

 “I really just aspire to achieve and contribute to society all that I can.”

 

 “There’s always an opportunity to teach, especially when you think, ‘How would I like the world to teach our daughters?’”

 

 “She was doing something incredibly important for women, whether they knew it, or not.” G.S.

 

 “When I graduated from Harvard Law School in 1959, I moved to NYC and not a single firm would hire me.”

 

 “It’s like throwing away your umbrella because you’re not getting wet.”

 

 “She will work til 3 4, 5 in the morning and have to be back at work by 9.” Jane Ginsburg

 

 You can’t spell truth without Ruth.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment