Monday, July 2, 2018



 
—I THINK YOU’RE FORGETTING SOMETHING



…I miss.  I miss.  I miss, again.  I am missing.

…I don’t want much.  I just want to be a better man.

…Sometimes you have to use whatever’s available to get you through the night.

…It’s by accident that I live.  I try sometimes to live just so I’ll have something to say.

…It’s pretty hard not to root for an underdog.  It’d be like not loving your mother.

…My mother, well that’s another story.  That’s a mini-series that never ends, and that no one should watch.

…Sometimes the best thing is being anonymous, being lint in a cloud, lint in a belly button. 

…It’s strange, the things you remember about someone, about something they did, that they couldn’t recall even if you pointed it out to them.

…You could say I put a chip on my shoulder.  That used to be my softest body part.

…“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right…”

…Sometimes you have to invent new ways to look at a day, to assort those fresh twenty-four hours looking you in your bleary eyes.

…Manufacturing insults is okay.  I get it.  It’s about tomorrow.  It’s about seeing the sun again.

…If you make your way here, I’ll give you something to lean into.

…Even at the bottom of the barrel, you’re still shining bright, looking like a million bucks.

…How about that?  A revolving door inside a revolving door that spins forever, going nowhere.

…This coffee tastes like it hates me.  Hard to blame it for that.

…The only way to make it is to turn the page, or fake it, or pretend that the book never had any pages to begin with.

…Time heals, they say.  I don’t know.  I’m a skeptic.

…How can you not love hamsters?  They’re so freaking cute.  I had two when I was in college—Moses and Booker.  They were a lot of fun.


…I guess now’s the time to embrace the darkness, the power outage that’s killed everything.

….Dear Melancholy, you look good in black and blue, but I wish you wouldn’t stand so close.

…I’ve never met anyone who stood still, waiting to be hit on the head six or seven times.

…How people react to your vulnerabilities tells you everything you need to know.

…That’s why I keep telling people to never look on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday.  Keep your eyes on the prize instead.

…“Sir, you don’t always tell the truth, do you?”

…That’s right, it’s not true.  But it feels true.

…Sometimes what we find out is intuitive, and sometimes it’s counter-intuitive.  You just never know.

…When people make you out to be silly or ridiculous, you remember that.

…Knock, knock.  Is there anybody in there?

…You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle unpleasantness.

…What you think you believe can change the course of everything.

…That’s a bottle and a half.  Is that really your answer?

…The difference between a glass of wine and your opinion is I asked for a glass of wine.

…Yeah, I’m a tall drink of water.  That’s what my Dad used to call me.  But much of the water comes from rusty pipes.  Still, I’d like to think I’m worth it.

…Worth is perhaps the biggest word there is, maybe even surpassing love.

…I don’t like looking terrified.  It’s not a very good look on me.

…Do you think I’m being foolish if I don’t rush in?

…I don’t know.  Maybe I’m just a human train wreck.  Maybe God is experimenting on me in order to see how much a human can take, kind of like what he did with Job.

…Strangers paired together forever.  Sounds like an interesting story.

…There’s no one left to carry these leftover pieces.

…My head’s a little cloudy, a little dusty.  Time to get out the vacuum.

…My first thing is the same, is the same, is the same.

…I’m not really talking to you.  I’m just talking myself out of talking myself out of things.

…Perhaps this all has something to do with survival.

…I think it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment