Wednesday, March 21, 2018




--TODAY I LEAN ON THAT BAD HABIT CALLED SURVIVAL


…The problem is there’s too much to worry about, and I’ve learned it’s best not to discuss a problem in the presence of a problem.

….Here’s some advice my son passed onto me just now:  Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

…When you don’t understand the words, you actually have to listen to what the other person is saying.

…To be honest, I’m kind of hoping you fail again, and I know how that makes me look.

…That’s the kind of stuff that scares me—not being able to remember names, the titles of songs or shows.

…I wish I knew how it happens, why it happens—those depressing days that seep through so insidiously.  The sun is up, there’s glory everywhere, and still I can find it.

…A kite loosed from its string outpaces its shadow.

…I have always been a tangle of tongue and petty want.  But aren’t you just the same?

…I have been going through book after book, pushing the sounds out through my teeth, inspecting the slivers for any possible answers.

…The better a life, the more sadness it leaves.

…Stories keep me humble, not that I need help in that regard.  Stories keep me sane, and in that regard, I need lots of assistance.

…Sometimes faith feels too far away to be of any use, but what else are you going to grab onto?

…Sometimes faith feels so near I can hold it between my chattering teeth.

…I am not the fat egg I claim to be, but rather a punched jaw.

…We’d be better off, if only those delicate emotions had felt more hypothetical.

…The may fly has a life-span of eighteen hours.  It spends that entire time laying eggs for the next generation.  May flies know the answer because they never even have to ask the question.

…If you get the motions right, motives will follow.  That is faith.

…It’s best not to read poetry when you’re in a blue mood.  Definitely not Plath.  There are other kinds of torture far swifter and less grizzly.

…One way to bury something is to bury it forever, though that’s the hardest part.

…Like the headless grasshopper and his still-twitching legs, I’m learning how much of myself I don’t actually need.

…The boat I’m am building will never be done.

…Dear God,
I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.  This may be me at my best.



No comments:

Post a Comment