Monday, November 21, 2016




--EVERYONE YOU’VE EVER MET WAS SO EASY TO FORGET, BUT I AIN’T GONNA BE THAT EASY TO LEAVE
 

…Good morning.
Thanks for hanging with my through the entire set of linked stories in my book, “My Long, Uncertain Search For Myself.”  It was a few years ago that I wrote those words and I had mixed feelings re-reading them.  I don’t think the writing was that sharp.

…Here’s a podcast of a panel I was on with Robert Vaughan, Meg Tuite and Kathy Fish when I was at a workshop in Taos, NM a couple of months ago:


…I haven’t been submitting anything of late, but here are a couple of pieces I had published in the last week or so:



 …And here are some things I like on a gray Monday:

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

"There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope." Bernard Williams

"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another." Helen Keller

"You have to learn the science of your craft. Someone will say, "yeah, I used to read music, but I forgot". Bullshit. That's not the way it works. You've got to love it enough to work for it, you know, and get your tools." Quincy Jones

"Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself." Samuel Butler

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have." Abraham Lincoln

"Money often costs too much." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much can be done if we are always doing - advising his daughter Martha, 1787." Thomas Jefferson

"The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." Vince Lombardi

"The future of our civilization is based on prudence, critical self-reflection, belief in higher values, and wisdom in matters of ordinary, everyday life. It is not about grabbing as much as possible, as quickly as possible." Tyler Cowen


No comments:

Post a Comment