Friday, September 30, 2016




--AIN’T IT NICE TO BE SO LUCKY?  AIN’T IT NICE TO BE SO LOVED?

 …Having allergies really sucks.  If I didn’t need to breathe, it wouldn’t matter.

…My office is on the third floor of our house, with windows all around for a view of the lake.  It’s pretty spectacular, however the sun can be so blinding at times that I can’t see my computer screen, even with a hat on.  (Tough issues, I know.)

...Three different sets of honking geese in V formations just flew by my window this very minute.  Pretty cool.

…I went to hear and see some friends read at Phinney Books in Greenwood.  It’s the smallest book store I’ve ever seen, but nearly every book there is outstanding.  The owner, Tom Nissley, is a great guy and was an eight time champion on Jeopardy.  He has a book out called, “A Reader’s Book of Days.”  It’s pretty unique.  He goes through an entire year, starting with January 1st, and cites different seminal events that happened on that day in the past, many times with several different events from different years.  For example: February 20th, 1965:
Malcom X checked in with Alex Haley about the manuscript for his “Autobiography,” which Haley reported would be sent to Doubleday within the week.  Doubleday, however, canceled the book’s contract after Malcom X was assassinated the next day.
If quirky facts about writers interests you, you’ll enjoy the book a lot.

…Here are some bits from Facebook that I found interesting or amusing this week:

-We are more than our failures and our achievements. Sometimes that's hard to remember when you're scrolling through your Facebook feed.
My favorite moment in the neighborhood, though, hands down is this: when Anne and I first moved in, the retired couple across the street came over to welcome us. “You’re our first lesbians!” they said.
-"Hey Mom? Do clowns die?"
                   
-From a student's essay: "The smell of dog poop attacks my nose violently, like the US military going into Iraq."

-2 in the morn at the taco spot:
Young drunk lady being hit on: "yeah, I'm half black and half Mexican, my dad is black. *points to me* and this is my boyfriend, he's all black, from the hood, and will fuck you up."
Me: *starts speaking Spanish* cuz I'm ordering food.
Mexican dude hitting on girl: That nigga’ ain’t all black.
Mexican dude hitting on the girl: "That nigga ain't all black."My favorite moment in the neighborhood, though, hands down is this: when Anne and I first moved in, the retired couple across the street came over to welcome us. “You’re our first lesbians!” they said.My favorite moment in the neighborhood, though, hands down is this: when Anne and I first moved in, the retired couple across the street came over to welcome us. “You’re our first lesbians!” they said.My favorite moment in the neighborhood, though, hands down is this: when Anne and I first moved in, the retired couple across the street came over to welcome us. “You’re our first lesbians!” they said.My favorite moment in the neighborhood, though, hands down is this: when Anne and I first moved in, the retired couple across the street came over to welcome us. “You’re our first lesbians!” they said.
-My favorite moment when we moved into the neighborhood was this elderly couple who came over to introduce themselves saying, “Congratulations!  You’re our first lesbians.”

-I've spent more time in the last decade editing one short story than I have looking for a romantic partner.

…And here are some things I like for the weekend:

“I never said most of the things I said.” Yogi Berra

“You keep counting calories and you’re really going to turn me on.” “This Is Us”

 “Only three kinds of people are susceptible to flattery: men, women and children.” Mark Twain

"In a way, writing maps a path out of the self. Instead of sobbing, you write sentences."--Charles D'Ambrosio

"Wise sayings often fall on barren ground, but a kind word is never thrown away." Arthur Helps

"Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you."  Mary Tyler Moore

"Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying."  Christian Furchtegott Gellert

“Never give up.  And never, under any circumstance, face the facts.” Ruth Gordon

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment