Tuesday, August 11, 2015



--IT ONLY HURTS WHEN I BREATHE


…I’m going to Portland/Vancouver tomorrow, quite early in fact.  Should be fun times.  I hope you are having fun times for yourself.
A distant friend suffered a heart attack yesterday and is terminal today.  Very tragic.
As they say, life is short so let’s all try enjoy it.

...At that Sam Smith concert I wrote about last time, the opener was some Irish guy I’d never heard of—Gavin James.
But he nailed it.  The crowd loved it.  Surprisingly, there were quite a few who knew the words to all of his songs, and they sang along and squealed and shouted.
He looked happy about that.
He played acoustic—just him and a guitar.
Here was one of my favorite songs of his:



…When I pick blue berries, which I’ve been doing more than ever this summer, I often get awful songs stuck in my head.  We’re talking awful.  Things like, “Tip Toe Through The Tulips” and “The Donkey Song.”
It’s tragic.
But today while picking I had this song stuck in my head, which I rather like though it does remind of when I’d play their album repeatedly while I was in North Dakota my sophomore year of high school, and hating every minute of it:


…I like every kind of music that exists.  A lot of people detest country music.  I get it, but today country really just fills a missing pop niche with strong hooks and melodies.
Take a listen to this (it even has rapping in it):


…Okay, last song (also country) that I once had stuck in my head for two weeks.  It’s a good one:


…Hey, you, have a great couple of days.
I’ll see you soon.
Until then, here are a couple of other things I like:

 -“A great party room has a horrible rug that you cannot destroy.”
-“Some people say there isn’t a difference between love and sex.  Those people are women.”
-“I feel like I learned more about love when relationships ended.  That may have been truer love because we took the sex out of the equation.”
-“If you want to be a butterfly, you have to spend some time as a worm.”
-“There’s definitely a time when the best you can do is look good for your age.”
-“I hope there’s no such thing as reincarnation because I will never pull a better life.” – Bill Maher
“Writing is hard work.  A clear sentence is no accident.  Very few sentences come out right the first time, or even the third time.  Remember this in moments of despair.  If you find that writing is hard, it’s because it is hard.” William Zinsser
 -“If you do the best you can, you will find, nine times out of ten, that you have done as well as or better than anyone else.”  William Feather


No comments:

Post a Comment