Monday, January 14, 2013





--SOME PEOPLE TOLD ME YOU ARE DOING WELL AND I’M GLAD ABOUT THAT



…I’m still getting used to posting via Mozilla Firefox.  It doesn’t allow much flexibility with formatting the text, but it’s the only way I can put up photos on the blog, so I’ll have to deal with it.


…I have a new story, “At the Far End of the Ocean” up at Blue Hour Magazine:



…The other day I wrote a story about a man who wants to sell a wedding ring at a pawn shop run by a widowed woman and her daughter.  The woman is mesmerized by the ring, but the daughter notices the man’s knuckles are pealed back and bloody, and that he has a blood stain on his boot.


I think it’s a pretty good story.  Anyway, I shipped it off to the Pacific Northwest Writer’s Conference contest.  I took first place last year.  I think this piece is better than the other, but we’ll see.  The Conference is in July.

I’m thinking of taking the basic premise of the story and expanding it into a novel.


…Yesterday the lake froze over completely except for a narrow sliver on the far east end, and there a flock of nearly one hundred geese plopped down in the chilly water, not really going anywhere or doing anything.  It was a pretty sight.


...Here are some things I like to start the week off:


"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith


"When dealing with the insane, the best method is to appear sane." Herman Hesse


"Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right." Henry Ford


"What was hard to bear is sweet to remember." Portuguese proverb


"Writing is frustration — it’s daily frustration, not to mention humiliation. It’s just like baseball: you fail two-thirds of the time." P. Roth


“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” Oscar Wilde


"May I kiss you then, on this miserable paper?  I might as well open the window and kiss the night air?" Kafka

"I need a crowd of people, but I can't face them day to day." Neil Young

“Writing is about getting people interested in what you’re interested in.” Tim Schulte


"Why don't you write books that people want to read?" A question from Edgar Allan Poe's wife to Edgar




No comments:

Post a Comment