Wednesday, January 11, 2012


--LOOK AT THESE KNUCKLES, THEY'VE GONE WHITE


…On the radio yesterday, the disc jokey said he didn't think newspapers would be around ten years from now. While I think he may be correct, hearing someone say that out loud kind of threw me, made me pause for a moment, stirred something inside of me.
It wasn't a friendly feeling.
I tried to remind myself that change is not often welcome, and that technology--for the most part--improves things.
I started thinking about magazines and books and how they will likely disappear as well.
That sort of made me sad.
I don't think people will stop reading, but I do think they'll read less.

…Yesterday, as well, I got a new Esquire magazine. It's my favorite, and I get a lot of magazines.
I love the "What I've Learned Column." There always seems to be something to glean from it.
Here were my favorite bits:

--Gangs are formed by kids who want love.
--My mother saw me in a gang jacket and said; "You're out of the gang or you're out of this house. You decide." For the next few years I had to run every day. They were waiting for me after school. I climbed out the back window. They beat up all my friends, stabbed two of them. But they never got me. I could have won the Olympics with the way I was hurdling. --Charlie Murphy

--Critics can say horrible things. It only hurts when I agree with them.
--Every time one person gets a piece of information, the likelihood of that information being exposed grows exponentially. It's no longer two people who said something. It's two people squared. --John Cryer

--Aspire to hard work, talent and passion. Fame is not something to aspire to.
--Moving to New York is like taking the lid off the can. --John Oats

--Chekhov has this wonderful line in "the Harmfulness of Tobacco. He says, "There's no one I can open my heart to." Ultimately, love is about opening your heart and being received for who you are. First you have to love here before you can go there. So that's the work. --Jeffrey Tambor

--Respect is what you get when you take the ball away from somebody.
--Being the youngest of twelve kids and having your underwear handed down teaches you how to share.
--What I've learned from being successful is to be thankful. --Scottie Pippen

No comments:

Post a Comment