Friday, June 30, 2023


 —MAYBE IF MY MEMORY WAS BETTER, I’D BE LESS AFRAID OF LOSING WHAT I CAN’T REMEMBER 

  

 

“’What if I fall?’" 

“Oh, but Darling, what if I fly?” Erin Hanson

 

 “All I want is a partner who is way out of my league but thinks that I’m way out of their league, and we’ll live together in perfect confused harmony with a dog.” Anna Amann

 

 “If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with a little rain.”  Stephanie Clark

 

“I got pulled over by the police today. I was apparently his first speeder because when he got to my window he said, ‘I’ve been waiting all day for you.’ I said, ‘I got here as fast as I could.’ He let me go.” Teresa Noonan 

 

“I said to my soul, be still and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love, for love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith, but the faith and the love are all in the waiting. Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought: So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.” 

~T.S. Eliot

 

“Please, no matter how we advance technologically, please don’t abandon the book. There is nothing more beautiful in our material world than the book.” Patti Smith

 

“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” E.E. Cummings

 

“The answer is yes. Yes, I did leap off a sailboat into the Mediterranean.” Lidia Yuknavitch 

 

“Don't you know all writers ever talk about it is their troubles?” Ernest Hemingway, “A Moveable Feast”

 

“if u speak to me in the morning & i’m rude, then that’s on u, not me.” Abi Dickson

 

 

“You gotta pretend that no one listens. You gotta pretend that you’re just making music for yourself, because when you do something for yourself and only for yourself and it translates to everybody else, that’s like what I think true genius takes its form.”
—Mac Miller

 

 

“We live as we dream—alone.” Joseph Conrad

 

“I think the worst part of living with trauma is the Shame Monster that follows you into every room (especially the rooms inside your head + heart). We gotta destroy shame. Every day we fight it back.” Said Shaiye

 

“Be still like a mountain…” – Lao Tzu 

 

In which way 

will I be able to fly 

with the weight of

 these bones?

--Viva Padilla

 

 

“I am out with lanterns

looking for myself.”

--Emily Dickison

 

My love gives me some wax,

so for once instead of words

I work at something real;

I knead until I see emerge

a person, a protagonist;

but I must overwork my wax,

it loses it's resiliency,

comes apart in crumbs.

I take another block;

this work, I think, will be a self;

I can feel it forming, brow

and brain; perhaps it will be me,

perhaps, if I can create myself,

I'll be able to amend myself;

my wax, though, freezes

this time, fissures, splits.

Words or wax, no end

to our self-shaping, our forlorn

awareness at the end of which

is only more awareness.

Was ever truth so malleable?

Arid, inadhesive bits of matter.

What might heal you? Love.

What might make you whole? Love. My love.”

― C.K. Williams, Repair

 

“Because who hasn't tried to pull their arms from the sleeves of gravity's lead coat? Who doesn't have at least one pair of wax wings out in the garage?” 

― Lucia Perillo, Luck Is Luck: Poems

 

“Of the many things I love, waiting at the airport for a friend is high among them.” Padraig O Tuama

 

“You know what sucks? Writing. You know what I love? Writing. You know what I wanna do? Write. You know what I don’t wanna do? Write.” Aiko Hilkinger

 

“Beth says the quiet part out loud every time. When someone’s rude to you in a restaurant, or cuts you off in the parking lot, Beth says the thing you wish you’d said.” Taylor Sheridan on the character he created for “Yellowstone”

No comments:

Post a Comment