Monday, October 7, 2019



—SOME HABITS ARE A LOT HARDER THAN OTHERS TO BREAK


…I just turned on the lights, so at least that’s something.

…If there’s no tomorrow, there’s no consequence.

…All most people want is a good war story, and I’ve got one.

…But all I really need right now is a coping mechanism.

…There are no answers to the questions you can’t even conceive of.

…I’ve got to stop thinking a drink will make this better.

…“All great things are created in a space between rational and irrational.”

…The one thing you don’t do is walk out on an OPR.

…Regret has no place in this conversation.

…My experience has been that instincts can cause you a lot of pain, but they’re usually spot on.


…A panic attack is a miscue of fight or flight, or so I’ve been told.

…Last week was one of the tougher ones.  People die too soon.  No one should die at 26.

…This broke my heart a little:
Allison Joseph on Jon Tribble
Can we stop for a minute and appreciate the splendor of Jon Tribble's hair? One of the reasons I wanted to have him by my side at my college reunions was that man had so much hair--and the dudes who wouldn't deign to go out with me back in college days were now kings of the combover. Aw, Allison, thy name is petty--and I loved my true love's hair.

…So, I spent a day writing about death.  Usually writing my feelings out helps, but that day, not so much.

…The question is, where do you turn when things get hard?  What do you do?

…I’m staring at every clock in this room.




…I could listen to this 24/7:

…The mirror told me it was tired of being my reflection.

…“Thank God for weird books making my ugly days beautiful.” Bud Smith

…A group of rats is referred to as a Mischief.  That sounds a little too playful.

…I don’t want to be the guy who ruins Christmas.  All I want to do is make your day.

…“Everything I write has a degree of truth.” Phoebe Waller-Bridge

…I can’t tell if it’s raining, or if it’s just me.

…You can only drive around this town so long.

…It might not seem like it, but I’m probably the most insecure guy you know.

…I had this up the other day:
It got some nice comments (a few below) that made me feel like maybe I can write after all:
-Your skill at expressing your sensibilities is so keen. I never know I've been gutted until I get up to walk away. Brilliant, as always, my friend.

-Breathless and darkly poetic. A breakneck bit of beautiful writing, Len.

-You're amazing. That is all.

…And then these helped a lot as well:
-Len, just finished, read every piece in Dark Sunshine, didn't want it to end, yet couldn't put it down. Deciphered "Fruit" with a gaggle of Irish undergrads and not negative comment in the room. Thank you. Never stop scribbling, your sentences inspire me.

-Just want to say your book is fucking amazing, don’t want it to end!

-Hi Len, 
I hope all is going well in your world. 
I'm just writing to express my admiration for your flash, "Summer Scalping: Scarecrows." It's just brilliant. I've made so many notes about this story. I think it's a great example of the smart use of description and so many other aspects of craft. I also think it's important to tell writers when I use their stories in my teaching. I am so happy to know you and am grateful for your stunning work, out in the world. to study and teach.

…But basically I’m a missing person, no body or crime scene, because corpses become evidence.

…Reasons for living never come cheap, that’s for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Those costs Ganga music are passed on to clients. Look for someone in a cheaper location who has figured out how to leverage the Internet to keep their costs low.Ganga bhakti

    ReplyDelete