Wednesday, December 20, 2017



 
--IN CASE YOU CAN'T TELL, I’M NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS
 

…Things can get lost in the overlap.

…What are we looking for again?

…I might have a black mold problem, and you need sleep.

…The trash goes out, but it seeps back in increment like the backflow of blood.

…We should make you an appointment, first thing tomorrow.

…We couldn’t be any safer, could we?

…Life only moves in one direction.

…I didn’t want that either.

…Those times were terrible, but they grew so familiar and looking back, I’d say they were even beautiful.

…Out on the lake, ghosts are singing an opera.

…Terrifying things come in very small pieces, slowly seeping in.

…I took a walk down the driveway just to feel the trees reach for me in the dark.

…I know how crazy it sounds, but that doesn’t mean it’s made up.

…I did what the book suggested—I ignored things.

…I’m no good at séances, but I could host an amazing playdate with the afterlife.

…I’m fighting off the voices and doing my job.

…Growing up, none of us, except the richer kids who skied, had enough warm clothes.

…Is it possible to mourn and celebrate at the same time?

…My body has become a hard bargain of skin and bone.

…The moon always seems to know something I don’t.

…It’s lovely, every once in a while, to run across that sweet forgotten place.

…I grew up in an anorexic home.   I’d say no.  I’d say, No thanks, No way.  But what I was always saying, really behind those words?  One thing: Love me, motherfuckers.

…The house I grew up in seemed like one big scar.

…Now we’re too far past the moment for me to backtrack.

…I’ll let you call the shots.  You’re better at that than me.

…I heard a lot of serious words growing up.  Some of them carried knives.  I could put myself between the fights if I held my breath long enough.

…I’m practicing saying Yes.  Apparently it’s the right thing to do.

…I checked the To Do list but that’s all it said.

…Snow is a little like an anorexic’s ice cream.

…I could hear my mother’s voice in her handwriting, in the way the walls stared at me when she would light up.

…Maybe there’s a time up ahead, or there was a time, or there is this time right now when you’re in a place with too many people, it’s sweating-hot and you don’t know any of them and mostly you feel lost because everyone seems to know each other.

…When you’re alone you’re invisible.  You’re figuring out how life works.

…Mostly anger is unfamiliar territory for me.

…Instead of putting pressure on your brain, hold a cold beer to it.

…Most people are better at me in the art of looking at a problem and tracking backward, analyzing the smallest pieces to find out where things went wrong.

…Whatever was going on with that guy, nobody told me.  Nobody asked my opinion.

…We don’t know how this will turn out, do we?

 

2 comments:

  1. I can't figure out which one of these I relate to most, but all of them are eerily familiar and ring of truth. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, Jayne. Thanks so much for reading my scribbles. I'm grateful. Here's wishing you a wonderful Holiday Season.

    ReplyDelete