Friday, February 27, 2015



--YOU HAVE TO BE WHERE YOU NEED TO BE

…Sometimes when I read my writing back over days after I’ve written it I’m a little stunned at how dark the words are and I wonder why anyone would want to read it.
That’s the way it was/is with the poems below, mostly autobiographical ones I wrote after my brother and dad died with nine days of each other.
Stuff got dredged up and I needed a way to deal with it, so I wrote and some kind editor (bless his heart) thought they were good enough to publish:





…Today will be mixed day of productivity and fun.
I’m going to write furiously on my novel.  I finally figured out how to get Jo (the female lead) off the bed and what to have her do next.  (This is the first novel I’ve ever written where I don’t know the ending, and so it’s been tricky.)
In the afternoon, I’m heading to Monroe for a round or eight of shuffleboard, my favorite pastime in one of my favorite bars.

…For now, I’ll leave you with these things that made me think:


“Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.”  Marilyn vos Savant
  
"The most absurd and reckless aspirations have sometimes led to extraordinary success." Vauvenargues
Wisdom comes alone through suffering.”  Aeschylus
"A man is only as good as what he loves." Saul Bellow
“ Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.” Abraham Lincoln
"Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are." Malcolm Forbes
 "America is the land of second chances.  All you have to do is ask." Frank Farley

 "The past isn't dead.  It isn't even past." Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment