Saturday, November 17, 2012


 
--I LIKE TO HEAR YOU LAUGH

 
…So I had my reading Thursday night at The Hugo House, along with a lot of other fine writers.
I went first.  I did so because I still get a little more nervous that I’d like to be.  But it went well—probably my best reading yet.
It was a fun time, and always great to be around other writers and all things writerly.

…I haven’t been submitting much, but Thursday I sent in a story and got it accepted 50 minutes later.  That’s a record.
I’m closing in on 700 acceptances since May 19, 2009.

…I like these things for the weekend, and maybe you will, too:

-"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up." John Andrew Holmes

 -“I learned to produce whether I wanted to or not. It would be easy to say oh, I have writer’s block, oh, I have to wait for my muse. I don’t. Chain that muse to your desk and get the job done.”  Barbara Kingsolver

-"I am convinced that the world is not a mere bog in which men and women trample themselves and die. Something magnificent is taking place here amidst the cruelties and tragedies, and the supreme challenge to intelligence is that of making the noblest and best in our curious heritage prevail." C.A. Beard

-"Fear not for the future, weep not for the past." Percy Bysshe Shelley

-“I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.” Dr. Seuss

-"It's my conception that it would be a good thing if everybody wrote poetry, in the world, because it seems to me that it's a natural human activity. Just like singing is for the birds. Birds don't sing because they think they're Neil Young, you know; I mean, they sing because that's what birds do." Ted Berrigan

-"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

-"I am convinced that the world is not a mere bog in which men and women trample themselves and die. Something magnificent is taking place here amidst the cruelties and tragedies, and the supreme challenge to intelligence is that of making the noblest and best in our curious heritage prevail." C.A. Beard

No comments:

Post a Comment