Sunday, August 26, 2012


--I HOPE YOU GOT EVERYTHING YOU WANTED

…I went to Portland and lived through a heady weekend of Fantasy Football, friends and libations.  Tomorrow I head to Spokane and a five hour drive there.
I need to stop going places and get writing/editing.  Once I’m back, that should be it for a while.

Here are some things I learned, all of them interesting, but very random:

If you could save one of these original documents of American history from a fire, which one would it be?
50% -The Constitution
38% -Declaration of Independence
9%   -Emancipation Proclamation
2%   -Elvis's letter to Nixon

Heritage most commonly declared by Americans:
47.9  -German
38.9  -African American
34.7  -Irish
32.9  -Mexican
25.9  -English

The 2,000th American soldier was killed in Afghanistan yesterday.
While it took nearly nine years for  American forces to reach their first 1,000 dead in the war, the second 1,000 came in just 27 months.
Three out of four were white, 9 out of 10 were enlisted service members, and one out of two died in either Kandahar Province or Helmand Province in Taliban-dominated southern Afghanistan. The average age of those killed was 26, and the dead were disproportionately Marines.

In King County, Washington State, for 2011, over 11,000 people were arrested for DUI

...Here are some things I like:

"I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference. A happy woman has no cares at all. A cheerful woman has cares but has learned how to deal with them." Beverly Sills

"It's not enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now." Allen Ginsburg

"Compromise:  The art of dividing a cake in such a way that everybody believes he got the biggest piece." Sherry Rothfield

"It's none of their business that you have to learn how to write.  Let them think you were born that way." Hemingway

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds around my neck." Emma Goldman

"And if by chance that special place you've been dreaming of leads you to a lonely place, find your strength in love." M. Masser

No comments:

Post a Comment