Monday, March 5, 2012


--I GAVE A FALSE CONFESSION

…I’m still digging out from AWP. More to come in a bit. For now, here are some things I like that you might, too:

"Everywhere I go, a poet has been there before me." Sigmund Freud

"My constant fear of death. My wanting to hold things still so I can look at them forever. Not be part of this body that is growing old but somewhere in me seeking eternal life. Wanting to overcome death. Suicide is power over death in that you do it." Spalding Gray

"There are millions of suns left."
- Walt Whitman

"No man who has once heartily and wholly laughed can be altogether
irreclaimably bad." Thomas Carlyle

*One of the most beautiful lines he ever wrote was, “You look at me like a dying can of commodity meat.” (Commodity meat was what the country used to feed poor people before McDonalds came along.) Hasil Adkins

"I think that's how we leave, signaling our imposters to leave us." Erica Wright

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. -E.L. Doctorow

I read poetry to save time. - Marilyn Monroe

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - Albert Einstein

For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure. - Rilke

Every act of creation is first an act of destruction. - Pablo Picasso

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you. - Walt Whitman

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these..."It might have been.” John Greenleaf Whittier

“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.” Lemony Snicket

"The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your
courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble
image of yourself." George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment