Saturday, August 27, 2011



--YOU LOOK SENSATIONAL

…I forget too much. Sometimes I can’t even remember what I’ve forgotten.
That could be scary, but I just sort of ignore the fact that I’m not logging certain events or actions down into the journal that my brain carries around.
It’s not like I have Alzheimer’s. Not yet anyway.
It would suck to have Alzheimer’s. It would suck to have dementia or any sort of disease like that.
Glen Campbell has a new album coming out.
(You think it’s really random, me mentioning Glen Campbell right now, don’t you? You might even wonder about me and dementia.)
“Why are you so happy?” a reporter asked Glen.
“Hell, I don’t know. Maybe because I’m still young.”
“Young?”
“Yeah, I’m only 75.”
I like that spirit. I like Glen.
Glen just revealed he’s been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. He doesn’t care, though. He’s actually even going on tour for his new album. I’m not sure how that’s all going to pan out, but I admire him a great deal for doing so.
Pat Summitt, the winningest women’s college basketball coach ever, just announced that she, too, has Alzheimer’s, but that she is going to continue to coach.
I think that’s brave. You know, throwing yourself out there like that with a public admission and then allowing yourself to be vulnerable enough to erode while everyone’s watching.
I don’t know why I’m fixated on Alzheimer’s this morning.
I guess it’s because a friend was recalling memories and I thought it would really suck not to be able to remember past events—the good ones anyway.
Of course there are many things that would suck way worse.
So, let me shut up. The sun is shining. It’s Saturday in Seattle. No one’s on the lake yet, not even a duck. The beavers must still be sleeping.
Good morning to you. Have the best day ever.

Here are a few things I like today:

"If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on
walking." Buddhist Proverb

"I think laughter may be a form of courage. As humans we sometimes stand tall and look into the sun and laugh, and I think we are never more brave than when we do that." Linda Ellerbee

"Maturity is achieved when a person postpones immediate pleasures for
long-term values." Joshua L. Liebman

"I learned the sun falls a million ways on a mountain trail, so each becomes a different trail
I learned if I dressed like a folding chair I'd never be alone." Rob Cook

"A friend is one who sees through you and still enjoys the view." Wilma Askinas

"We all have stories we are trying to escape." Vanessa Hua

‎"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." --William Gibson

"At first dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable." Christopher Reeve

"A servant wants to be rewarded for what he does~ A lover wants only to be in love's presence~ The ocean who's depth can never be known" ~Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment